Blogs > GameTimeCT Football

A look at high school football throughout the state

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Milford Academy: a "running back factory"

LeSean McCoy.
Shonn Greene.
Marcel Shipp.

All three spent time at Milford Academy, a prep school located in New Berlin, N.Y. McCoy and Greene are current members of the NFL. Shipp played for the Arizona Cardinals from 2001-2007 and is currently on the roster of the Las Vegas Locamotives of the UFL.

Ansonia running back Montrell Dobbs, the 2010 Register All-State MVP, officially announced his decision to attend Milford Academy Saturday. Dobbs rushed for 3,445 yards and 45 touchdowns as a senior, while leading the Chargers to an 11-2 record and an appearance in the Class S state championship game.

Milford Academy is coached by Bill Chaplick, an Ansonia native. Chaplick has compiled a 97-31 record at the school through 11 seasons. Chaplick has coached 110 players who went on to play at a Division I-A college.

"We're a running back factory," Chaplick said. "We have one of the finest traditions in the country."

Chaplick believes Dobbs has the talent and potential to play at a major Division I-A school when Dobbs' time at Milford Academy is over, provided Dobbs makes the necessary adjusts both in the classroom and on the field.

"He's impressive," Chaplick said. "The one thing I didn't realize was how big he was. He's listed at 5 (feet), 10 and a half, and he'll play for me at 190 (pounds). That's normal size for a I-A back. He should fit right in. He needs to work on his body more. I think he has the lower body, he just needs to work on the upper body."

Chaplick says Milford Academy has sent an average of 14 players per year to a Division I-A school during his tenure.

"I know the program has helped a lot of players get to the next level," Dobbs said. "I felt this was the best decision for me."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home