Blogs > GameTimeCT Football

A look at high school football throughout the state

Sunday, August 7, 2011

RIP Dave Solomon, my colleague and friend

Since joining the Register staff in 2002, I often looked to Dave Solomon, as the elder statesman of the sports writers there, for guidance, advice and approval.

It wasn't enough just knowing Dave Solomon, you wanted to be Dave Solomon, and not out of jealousy. Dave Solomon was simply the best damn sports columnist in the state of Connecticut. If he worked in California or Florida or Texas, Dave would be the best there, too. I was, as many were, in awe of his talent.

It's tough to put into words what Dave meant to the Register and to the sports scene in this state. We had conversations about many things, mainly sports, but Dave listened as if the conversation was the most important thing in the world regardless of the topic.

I remember one time when I was struggling to make a decision about selecting an MVP for a high school sport, which is one of the toughest jobs we do during the scholastic season. Often the athlete makes the decision for us based on what they do on the field or court. But sometimes it's not that simple.

I asked Dave for his advice. He told me to just do what I think is right. To think about it, make a decision, and go with it. Doing the "right thing" was important, but so was the process in how you came to that decision. Once you make that decision, he said, be content with it and know that you did the best you could in making that decision.

On a personal note, Dave often razzed me for one of my bad habits as I stood outside of the entrance door to the Register building. He wanted me to do the right thing and, Dave, I promise I will.

Dave talked proudly, and often, of his wife Judy and daughters Abby and Lisa, who I, sadly, haven't had the good fortune to meet. Dave was indeed a true pro and a gifted writer but, more importantly, a better husband and father. My condolences to the Solomon family.

Hearing the news Saturday night was devastating. Even more so is reading the comments on various social media sites. Dave truly touched many people's lives. And for the better. We are all better people for having known Dave Solomon. Dave, you will certainly be missed.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Face Paint Lady said...

Beautiful sentiment! My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your friend, and to the Solomon family.

August 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM 
Blogger The Real McCoy said...

Wow I'm at lost for words. This man wrote a beautiful article on me and I wanted thank him personally for that. I'm sad to hear that his wonderful life has been taken home. I thank you brother Dave Solomon and may you rest in Paradise. My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your friend, and to the Solomon Family.
Thanks again Dave your words are apart of my life history.
Greg McCoy

August 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home